Tomb of Sir Thomas Long
St James Church Draycot Cerne
St James Church South Wraxall
Rood Ashton House, West Ashton
Rood Ashton House, West Ashton 2005
Sir Robert Long memorial
stone located in St James Church Draycot Cerne
Sir Henry Long
Sir Henry Long (c.1489 - 1556)
was born in Wiltshire, the eldest son and heir of Sir
Thomas Long of Draycot, land owner, of Draycot Cerne in Wiltshire,
and his wife, Margery (died in or after 1508), daughter of
Sir George Darrell of Littlecote House in Wiltshire.
Long was appointed High Sheriff
for Wiltshire in 1512, 1526,
1536 and 1542, and for Dorset 1539. He was High Sheriff for
Somerset in 1538 and Member of Parliament for Wiltshire 1552-1553.
He was also Hereditary Bailiff of Charlton Wood and Keeper
of Braden Forest, east of Malmesbury.
Together with his brother
Richard, he was present at the baptism of Prince Edward.
He inherited the manor of Stock & Stockley from his
father and later purchased the manor of South Wraxall. Long
was at the Siege of Boulogne, having the command of 200 men,
whom he railed for that expedition. His Captain was severely
wounded in an unsuccessful attack on the castle, 1st September
1544. He also accompanied Henry VIII to the Field of the
Cloth of Gold and was knighted for making a gallant charge
at Therouenne at Picardy in the sight of the King, for which
he was granted a new crest, consisting of a lions head with
a man's hand in its mouth.
Long's close relationship with Henry VIII paid dividends
at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, with grants of land
in Wiltshire; Lyneham and Littlecote in Hilmarton, together
with the rectory, great tithes and advowson of the vicarage
of Lyneham, all formerly belonging to Bradenstoke Priory.
He leased the manor of Fasterne from Catherine Parr who,
after the death of her husband Henry VIII, had re-married
Sir Thomas Seymour, brother of Protector Somerset. The Protector
coveted Fasterne, and negotiated with Sir Henry Long to resign
When she heard of this, Catherine was highly indignant.
She was not on good terms with the Protector, because he
had declined to give her some valuable jewels which, as she
maintained, King Henry had given her for her own. She vowed
she would stop the Protector getting his hands on the Fasterne lease, and would go herself "tomorrow, Saturday, at
three o’clock" to the young King Edward, and give
full utterance to her feelings against the Protector, his
uncle. But the formidable uncle-Protector of the realm was
not to be meddled with.
Whether she kept her promise, and
how far she succeeded in getting the diamonds, is not clear,
but Somerset succeeded in getting Fasterne. Sir Henry Long
somewhat unwillingly parted with it for a sum of money
and the office of Ranger of Braden Forest for his life.
Long married firstly, Jane (or Frydeswyde), daughter of
Sir John Hungerford and Margaret Blount. He married secondly,
Eleanor, daughter of Sir Richard Wrottesley and Dorothy Sutton.
He had several children with both his wives, including Sir
Robert Long (c.1517-c.1581) below.
Sir Henry Long died c.1556
and is buried at Draycot in Wiltshire. His second wife
Sir Henry Long's monument lies buried in the south side
of the chancell, under a plain altar monument covered with
faire black marble without inscription, it is rested in
Draycot Cerne church.
The tomb of Sir Thomas Long who died
in 1508 is located in St James Church, Draycot Cerne. Considering
it is around 500 years old it is still in good condition,
although the somewhat faded paintwork makes it look shabby
in places, apparently the tomb was re-painted using water-colours
during the Victorian era.
Rood Aston House -
Viscount Long's great grandfather Richard Godolphin Long
commissioned architect Jeffry Wyattville to build the house
in 1808, replacing an earlier mansion on the estate. It was
altered and extended in 1836 by Thomas Hopper, who incorporated
some panelling and other material brought from another Long
family property, Whaddon House, which had been rescued from
the fire there the previous year.
The estate was originally purchased by Edward Long of Monkton
in 1597. In the 19th century a considerable amount of money
was spent on improving its agriculture, but the Long family
saw little return for their expenditure, and the changes
in taxation on agricultural land brought about by the Lloyd
George government, made it financially unviable.
In 1914 during World War I Viscount Long offered Rood Ashton
and another of his properties, Culworth House, Northamptonshire
for use as convalescent homes for wounded soldiers and sailors.
The house and the remaining 4,100 acres were put to auction
by Lord Long's executors in February 1930, six years after
his death. The estate included 17 farms, 21 small holdings,
100 cottages, 2 public houses including The Longs Arms, and
a square mile of woodland. 2,500 acres were purchased by
a syndicate of his tenants, finally ending 333 years of
continuous ownership by the Long family.
Sir Robert Long
Sir Robert Long (c.1517-c.1581) was born in Wiltshire, eldest
surviving son and heir of Sir Henry Long of Draycot, and
his wife Eleanor Wrottesley. Long was Esquire to the Body of
Henry VIII. He is recorded as being present at the reception
of Anne of Cleves, and
together with his father, he served at the Siege of Boulogne.
He was given the manor of Calstone near Calne in 1538 in
a grant by Henry VIII, and at least part of this land was
still controlled by the Long family in 1704, when the rent
from one farm called Tossells was used for a Draycot charity.
He was appointed High Sheriff
of Wiltshire in 1575, during
the reign of Elizabeth I. He married Barbara Carne c.1546
and they had one daughter and four sons including: Sir Walter
Sir Thomas Long
Sir Thomas Long of Draycot (c.1451 - 1509) was born in Wiltshire,
the son of John Long and his wife Margaret Wayte, he succeeded
to the Draycot and South
on the death of his father on 20th September 1478. In 1501
he received a knighthood at the marriage of Henry VII's
eldest son, Arthur,
Prince of Wales, and he was also at the reception of Catherine
of Aragon at Shaftesbury in October of that year. Long was
elected Member of Parliament for Westbury in 1491. He was
appointed High Sheriff of Wiltshire in
1500 and again in 1506. He was present at the coronation
of Henry VIII in
1509. He married Margery, daughter of Sir George Darell, of
Littlecote House, and had one daughter and seven sons,
Richard Long (c.1494-1546) and Sir Henry Long (c.1489-1556).
Long died in 1509 and his remains are entombed in a 'rich
gothique altar monument' (as described by John Aubrey) in
the church of St James at Draycot, Wiltshire. Hanging above
his tomb until recently, and authenticated by the British
Museum, were his armour Haume (helmet) and gauntlets, dating
from c.1490. These are now safely kept in the Devizes Museum
South Wraxall Manor
South Wraxall Manor is a Grade I* listed country house
which dates from the early 15th Century. According to popular
legend, South Wraxall Manor was the house where the first
tobacco was smoked in England, by Sir
Walter Long and his friend Sir Walter Raleigh. The first known
member of the Long family to own land in South Wraxall, was
Robert Long in 1426. The last member of the Long family to
live at the Manor was Sara, the only daughter of the 2nd
Viscount Long, and wife of Conservative MP, Charles Morrison.
The Manor was finally sold in 1966, together with 830 acres,
after five hundred years of family ownership. John Taylor,
the bass player with the band Duran Duran purchased the house