Church Pulpit probably dated
The Walker Heneage Monument
Among memorials to the Walker and Walker-Heneage families
is a large wall monument of veined marble commemorating Heneage Walker (d. 1731).
It stands in the north aisle and consists of an inscribed tablet flanked by,
Corinthian pilasters and surmounted by an open segmental pediment, putti,
and a cartouche of arms.
In fact it is a very graceful piece of workmanship,
traces of the original colouring and gilding can be seen
on the coat of arms in the segmental pediment and the cupids
are truly desperate! The monument described by Professor
Pevsner as a "surprisingly grand and pure piece. A standing
wall monument of white and grey streaked marble and an open segmented
pediment with two desperate putti on it."
The genealogy of the ancient family of Heneage is deduced
by authentic evidences from Sir Robert Heneage, who held
considerable possessions in the county of Lincoln in the
reign of Henry III.
Heneage Walker, esq.
of Hadley. was the Chief Usher of the Exchequer, dying without
issue 15th May 1731, was succeeded in his estates and offices
his only brother, John Walker
John Waker, esq. of
Lyneham, who died on the 27th April1758, aged 60 years, leaving
by Dyonisia his wife, eldest daughter of James Colebrooke,
esq. and sister of Sir James and Sir George Colebrooke, baronets,
successively of Gatton, in the county of Surrey three sons
and three daughters, John Walker was buried in Woodborough
There is a detailed account and lineage of the Walker, Heneage
and Walker-Heneage families within the Lyneham Village Online
history bygones section. If you would like to know more click
A pulpit (from Latin pulpitum "scaffold", "platform", "stage")
is a small elevated platform where a member of the clergy stands in order to
read the Gospel lesson and deliver a sermon.
In many mainline Christian churches, there are two speaker’s
stands in the front of the church. Typically, the one on the
left (as viewed by the congregation) is called the pulpit.
Since the Gospel lesson is often read from the pulpit, the
pulpit side of the church is sometimes called the gospel side.
The other speaker's stand, usually on the right (as viewed
by the congregation), is known as the lectern. The word lectern
comes from the Latin word meaning "to read", because
the lectern primarily functions as a reading stand. It is typically
used by lay people to read the scripture lessons (except for
the Gospel lesson), to lead the congregation in prayer, and
to make announcements. Because the epistle lesson is usually
read from the lectern, the lectern side of the church is sometimes
called the epistle side.
A majority of the family memorials are sited on the upper
walls of the north aisle